Iomega Jaz Disks – Why Didn’t They Take Off?

I’ve cleaned many a back room computer closet and found quite a number of artifacts that belie how far technology has come in just slightly more than a decade. One such item is the Iomega Jaz drive. I found a package of Jaz disks at a client and, instead of throwing them out, I dissected them and then threw them out.

I really didn’t know what to expect while cracking the cases open, but what I encountered made me stagger. When I opened up the case, I saw what amounted to a hard drive platter sitting loose on a plastic spindle:

The precious platters were protected by the mighty power of… bendy aluminium.

The bendy aluminium was held in place and allowed the freedom to move by a paper clip. Paperclips make the world go ’round!

I took a few more picture of the dissection and posted them on my Flickr account. Take a look at the ignominy here.

So how about it? Are you as appalled as I am that such a product made it to the consumer? Spew your ire in the comments below.

1. Justin Dearing

February 6, 2012 at 8:10 am

They had a niche, but a very high end one. A zip disk will hold a eleventy-billion word documents and spreadsheets. In the age of the Sony Mavica cameras with 3.5″ disk drives, you only needed a few of them even if you were doing digital photography.

Jaz Drives were the things in the school computer lab dedicated digital photography or music. Each student had to buy a disk for class.

February 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

I remember the ads in MacWorld and MacUser were quite prominent and seemed to be focused on those in the music / graphics business.

Behold, bendy aluminium and paperclips.

2. planetsizebrain

February 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

I owned a ZIP drive and a bunch of disk. The system worked quite well with regards to the mountains of normal floppies you’d otherwise need, only the transfer speed over the parallell port was abysmal.

February 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

Zip disks were awesome. If you open them up, it’s just a magnetic film like a regular floppy (just a lot firmer). I had no idea that Jaz disks were actual platter though!

• Justin Dearing

February 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

I had a few internal zip drives, I remember getting them to boot in linux. I also once used my parallel zip drive to install Slackware on a monochrome 386 thinkpad.

3. Jim Ancona

February 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Sounds like an old-fashioned removable cartridge hard drive. They were common in the days before sealed (so-called Winchester) drives became available in the 1980’s. Here’s an example:

4. Shane Corellian

February 22, 2012 at 11:29 am

Ha! I remember pre-ordering the Jaz Drive. If I recall it was delayed and delayed. When we finally got our 3 drives my boss (VP of Engineering) immediately took one apart and was so dismayed, like you were Wesley. He looked at me and, with a loud sigh that will always remind me of him, said “order some more Zip discs”

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, bud.

February 22, 2012 at 11:45 am

I guess it could have been worse. Could have been DECtape. =)