The last Friday of July has been known as System Administrator Appreciation Day for the 12 years now. It’s a nice way for SysAdmins to get some positive press within their circle of coworkers. Often times we’re only thought of when things go wrong. It’s not uncommon for people to look at us and wonder “What do they even do all day?” With the help of SysAdmin Appreciation Day we can hopefully forge some better relationships with those we serve.
CyberArk, a software company that makes tools to manage and protect privileged accounts and sensitive information, is hosting their Second Annual System Administrator Appreciation Day Contest. In this contest, any SysAdmin is encouraged to answer the question “What is your greatest enterprise IT accomplishment in the past year?” The best answer to that question, as determined by a panel of three judges, will be awarded an Amazon Kindle!
But who are these three judges? Let me introduce them to you:
- Matt Simmons: The SysAdmin that needs no introduction. If you’ve been around many prominent sysadmin communities you’ve probably seen his name or heard him mentioned. He writes his own blog at www.standalone-sysadmin.com that is a wealth of information about all things systems administration especially in a SMB environment.
- Bill Pesiridis: Cyber-Ark’s own rock star SysAdmin will be joining in on the fun. One can be sure that such a security minded individual will have keen insights into the risks and rewards associated with systems administration.
- Me! Yep, me.
By now I hope you’re interested in getting in on the fun. Not just for the Kindle, but for the enjoyment of sharing your triumphs with your fellow admins. As Proverbs says, rejoice with those who rejoice! Of course, the latter half of that proverb says to weep with those who weep, and I could use a shoulder to cry on as a result of a client’s PCI compliance challenges, but that’s for another blog post.
Entering the contest
- The contest will begin at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, July 25th (that’s today!) and will conclude at 3:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, July 28th. Responses will be monitored throughout the week. The winner will be announced by 1:00 p.m. ET on Friday, July 29th by @CyberArk through a series of Tweets.
- Entrants must tweet a response to the question “What is your greatest enterprise IT accomplishment in the past year?”
- You must be following @CyberArk. Prize information will be sent via Direct Message.
- You must tweet your answer with the #SysAdminDay hashtag and include @CyberArk
- The proper syntax is “#SysAdminDay @CyberArk RESPONSE”
- Participants are encouraged to include a URL in the Tweet! The URL can link to anything that better explains your triumph. It can be an image (TwitPic) or a blog post. This way, participants can provide a more detailed and/or creative response. This is not a requirement for eligibility but it may help participants to get their message across in a more impactful manner.
- Limit one Tweet (entry) per participant—any user that creates and/or uses multiple accounts to participate will be deemed ineligible. Re-Tweets from other users are encouraged, however.
Here are a few examples of acceptable tweets:
#SysAdminDay @cyberark I tore out our old POTS and implemented a 100 handset VOIP system!
#SysAdminDay @cyberark 700 mailbox Exchange to Zimbra migration? Hard. $50,000 less in licensing each year? Priceless.
#SysAdminDay @cyberark No-touch upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 for 1,000 users! More at my blog: [link]
(Note, I am not implying that any greater success will be had with any of those topics or tweets)
Wrapping it all Up
Let’s recap. You have to send one (and only one) tweet in the format of “#SysAdminDay @cyberark [Yay me!]” sometime between 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday, July 25th and 3:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, July 28th. You can include a link to a picture or blog post about your triumph. You also have to be following @CyberArk to be eligible.
For the fullest and latest contest rules, check out CyberArk’s official page concerning the contest. While you’re at it, check out their infosec blog for some good chatter on the industry.
Submit your best triumph in the past year so we can all bask in the warm glow of your accomplishment! I look forward to examining each of your trophy projects and sharing in your joys.