List of Online Time Tracking Services Useful for Independent Contractors

(March 2011 Update: I’ve added 11 more to the raw list of possible tools to use for time tracking. These tools range from barebones time tracking to also including tons of other features including invoicing. Some are apps that you install, some are web based. This is merely a raw list and not a review of the tools.)

(April 2011 Update: A few more tools have been added that can track time, however these are more project management tools that also allow for time tracking. They’re not strict time tracking tools.)

(October 2012 Update: Added Time Cockpit)

(December 2012 Update: Added Replicon)

Doing more independent contracting has caused me to need an elegant way of tracking my time usage for various clients and projects. I sent out a tweet requesting to learn how other independent contractors track their time for clients and received quite a bit of feedback. One of them included just using a simple Excel spreadsheet. That was actually encouraging to know that clients can be accepting of a simple spreadsheet and that I don’t necessarily have to “wow” them with pretty graphs and charts as well as offering 14 different ways to analyze my time.

Nonetheless, I think that it would be useful to have a range of metrics that can be analyzed as well as the opportunity to present the aforementioned pretty graphs. I’m not against eye candy if there’s at least some legitimate meaning to it. Making it easier for a client to see just what I’m doing for the money they pay me is certainly an added value.

I’ve collated the list of web based time tracking tools (some also have fat clients for PCs and phones) that many of my Twitter followers graciously suggested to me. I was hoping to write a full article about some of my findings on them, but I noticed that many of my online colleagues are also stepping out on their own into the indie contracting realm and were looking for these kinds of tools. As a result, I’m expediting things by simply dumping my current list of possibilities out for the benefit of those who may be looking for similar resources. A more thorough dissertation on one or more tools may be forthcoming.

Did I overlook any other services worth mentioning? Let me know in the comments.

1. Karen

February 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thanks for looking into Harvest, and for mentioning us in your post. Do feel free to get in touch with us if you do have any questions – we’re constantly improving things here, and we love to hear from our users!
    Karen, Harvest Community Manager

February 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

Harvest looks like a great tool! I think I won’t be needing an invoicing tool, however, since I use QuickBooks and would like to keep as much paperwork within that ecosystem if possible. However, I just noticed that Harvest has an export tool to use with Quickbooks which seems awesome. And the Redmine tool… it’s like you’re reading my mind! Perhaps a Chiliproject add-on is in the making. Oh, and I wish the desktop widget had a Linux version. I think Harvest is near the top of my list for time tracking tools to trial.

2. Karen

February 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

@Wesley Yes, our integration with QB may work well for you:

I’ll make a note of the Linux widget request, and while we don’t have Chillproject on our radar, I’ll add that to our notes as well. If you’d like to get our hands dirty, you can always take a crack at it with the Harvest API:

Have fun with your trial!

February 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Chiliproject is the recently forked version of Redmine. Apparently the Redmine project wasn’t moving fast enough for some of the members so they forked it to remain up-to-date.

3. Karen

March 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Interesting – thanks for letting us know!

4. Jack

March 12, 2011 at 7:25 am

MrTickTock 1.0 has just been released.

We improved UX significantly, mostly on the time sheet page. We use AJAX to make interaction with the page very natural. Time entries are saved automatically so there is no need for Save button and no chance to loose unsaved time entries.
    It contains several other improvements which you may like.

The next release will bring vacation tracking.

5. Tadd

March 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

6. Heather

March 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Many independent contractors and freelancers find our time and expense tracking service, Syncd, to be full-featured and affordable. Syncd supports multiple time and expense tracking options, flexible client and project classifications, detailed reporting, and costs just $5 per active user per month. Syncd uses SSL to secure every account. Please take advantage of our free 30 day trial and see if Syncd is a good fit for your needs.

March 24, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Thanks Heather! I’ll add it to the list and check it out!

7. Karin

October 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

You may also take a look at time cockpit ( It automatically logs all work done on a PC. The tracked activities are displayed in a graphical calendar. Transform logged activities to time sheet entries with one mouse click, and add additional information like the project for billing or project controlling.

October 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks Karin! I’ve added that to the list.

8. Kumar

December 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

I am surprised, how come Replicon is missing in the above list?

9. Trine Pedersen

May 29, 2013 at 1:10 am

This is an interesting post and list of online time tracking tools, but I think you are missing something. Billy’s Billing is an accounting software for small businesses and there is a major update coming up – including the time tracking feature among other great things such as a tool for handling your traveling expenses. Check out the website and keep track of the upcoming changes

10. saxenarhea

September 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Replicon time tracking software is another great to use tool.

11. Nick

August 26, 2014 at 1:29 am

I found Yaware few months ago. It tracks internet and software usage.The app evaluates productivity and provides detailed reports online.

12. Mindaugas Jocius

November 11, 2014 at 7:08 am

Nice list. Another one to include is Mobile Worker ( What I like the most about it is one-click time tracking. Very convenient if you’re constantly on the go, like many independent contractors.