Vital Physical and Virtual Tools for the SysAdmin

I recently wrote a six-part series concerning useful physical tools that SysAdmins should consider carrying with them that was published across RedGate’s SysAdmin-Talk and SimpleTalk blogs. I also wrote an episode that dealt with useful tools that should be in a SysAdmin’s “virtual backpack”, i.e. a portable storage device. Here’s the list of articles:

In retrospect, I realize that those articles are based mostly on my own experiences which are probably wildly different from other Sysadmins’ experiences. Furthermore, in the words of one of my favorite Buttersafe comics:

Having said that, I’m am absolutely certain that I’ve left out some excellent ideas for physical and virtual tools that every SysAdmin should consider carrying. If you think I’ve left a vital tool out, or even just an oddball resource that might be handy to have in the bottom drawer, let me know about it and I’ll make a “Community Edition” post (or two, as the necessity may be).

What have I overlooked?

1. josephkern

December 21, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Great lists! I will be reading those throughout the week. I had started a similar thread on server fault: http://serverfault.com/questions/27489/odd-tools-and-techniques-for-system-administrators Lots of interesting tools …

• Wesley.Nonapeptide

December 21, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Wow! I forgot about that thread. Even weirder, I barely remembered that I had responded to that thread and my answer made it to the third most upvoted answer. I mined my own post for a few things that I had forgotten to list in my posts.

Thanks for the reminder. =)

2. David Mackintosh

December 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

…you can’t list 40 items, plus 10 boot disks, and not expect someone to demand a photo of this bag.

(ahem)

I’d like to see a photo of this bag.

• Wesley.Nonapeptide

December 22, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I do have a backpack that is a bit portly. Each time she sees it, my mother refers to it as the Spaceman Backpack because it reminds her of the huge piece on the back of the lunar space suits:

Check it out here

Perhaps that doesn’t show its sheer size.

3. Georgi

October 17, 2012 at 2:12 am

Hello Mr. Wesley David,

FYI

The links from the post point to site, that Firefox reports as dangerous. The site probably is hacked.

October 17, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thanks Georgi! Looks like my friends over yonder are having a little trouble. I’ll disable the links until its fixed.

• Sean

May 6, 2013 at 6:10 am

Have the links been fixed? It would be great to see these back up, as I had trouble tracking down the last two.

May 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Sean! I forgot about the trouble the SysAdmin Talk blog had. It’s all cleared up now. I fixed all the links. Give it a share! =)