Solving “Calendar sharing is not available with the following entries because of permission settings on your network”

My Problem:

Attempting to send another Exchange 2007 user a request to share calendars results in the error:

“Calendar sharing is not available with the following entries because of permission settings on your network.”

My Solution:

This one was so simple it’s obnoxious. Instead of typing in the user’s name in the To: field, click the To: button and select their Exchange address from the Global Address List. I suspect that I simply allowed auto-complete to fill in the user’s name when I typed the first few letters and it was not actually the Exchange account but another of the user’s email accounts that I had previously named with the same username.

Jon over at jon.netdork.net wrote about a similar issue concerning cached names in Outlook on his blog right here.

1. Jon Angliss

August 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for the mention, almost forgot I wrote that ;)

I’ve had this very issue come up before and it was caused by the user sending the request to share having a contact record for the person, but the email address in the person’s address book was not the X400 address, or maybe it was not their default SMTP address, I cannot remember which exactly.

Your method around it works fine, the other is to check for the contact in the address book, and look at their email address. You should be able to start typing the email address in there, and it should automatically try and use the GAL address list (at least I’ve seen it doing it before).

• Mike Cottingham

April 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Worked like a charm for me just now. Thanks

2. Abugida

May 12, 2011 at 7:27 am

It was a great easy fix. Thank you so much.

3. Rollie HIll

August 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I have tried the above suggestions to no avail… I am using 2010. Any other ideas??

August 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Unfortunately, since that solved my problem I didn’t have to dig any deeper. Sorry. =|

4. mikemos

September 28, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I don’t understand why this works. The address is that fails is the same as the GAL one. I even get an availability (Communicator) bubble with the address that fails.

September 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I’m assuming that it is something Outlook-side to do with caching. Selecting the cached email address gets it from local Outlook memory, but the real-time availability is added on top of that. If that makes sense.

5. Peter

January 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks a bundle! I had already bought a book on exchange server and the answer was not there.

January 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Quirks like this can’t easily be included in books. Things like this just have to be stumbled over, blogged about and then hopefully never tripped over again. =)

6. ittester

February 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

Thanks! that answer worked great! :)

7. Gordon

March 9, 2012 at 8:16 am

Unbelievably simple. If only all Microsoft problems were that easy to fix.
    Thanks Wesley.

8. WesleyR

April 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

This worked beautifully, thank you very much for sharing!

9. Barry Ochsner

April 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm

WOW! That is obnoxious. The auto-fill was even entering the correct email address that is on the exchange server. But, it wouldn’t work until I selected the user’s name from the Global Address Book.
    Crazy!

April 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Obnoxious is a common word when this problem is encountered. =)

10. G-Mo

April 18, 2012 at 7:26 am

Wow, can’t believe I glossed right over that! Sometimes your looking for a fix that’s so obvious you can’t even see it. Thanks for reminding me that sometimes out ignorance exceeds our intelligence. :)

11. Asif

May 22, 2012 at 4:49 am

Thanks,
    It work for me as well.

Thanks

12. denis lacroix

July 4, 2012 at 11:42 am

crazy fix lol omg

i hate the cached thing in outlook

13. Ehtisham

August 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

I wish, I had come to this blog before wasting so much time. It was really an easy fix. Thanks Alot

14. Brett Warner

September 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thank you, this could have ended up being one of those irritating issues that would have taken me a lifetime to get to the bottom of. Thanks to you it was solved within minutes of it happening.

15. Arun

September 28, 2012 at 2:18 am

Its works fine..Thank you very much..Outlook 2010

16. Brian

October 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

This can also happen if the users mailbox is setup as a shared mailbox in EMC (exchange management console) on the exchange server rather then a user mailbox as it should be. Our company did a migration to Exchange 2010 and a lot of mailboxes are not set as shared which has been causing issues.

17. Mike

October 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks, it worked! You’re not wrong about it being simple!

18. Pete

January 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thank you! This stopped months of frustration.

19. Sri

February 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

This helped me too.
    My wild guess as to the reason why this works is using the “To” button & selecting from the GAL might actually be pulling down the user’s AD username, while just typing it only tells Outlook what their email is & it can’t link up the permissions as a result.

20. Joeyson

April 5, 2013 at 5:03 am

Cause: This issue occurs when an internal recipient is also in your Contacts list in Outlook 2010. When you add this recipient to a Calendar Sharing message, the autocomplete feature of Outlook 2010 adds the recipient to the recipient list by using the recipient’s external email address.

For example, a recipient has the Exchange alias User1. When you add them as a recipient to the Calendar Sharing message, their address is displayed as User_name (User1@contoso) and not as User_name.

21. Ramiro

July 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm

GREAT ARTICLE GREAT SOLUTION… its amazong… i was figting with this for 3 hours and this was the solucion. Ms, please…. do better software!!!!
    Thank you!!!

• Joe Peterson

July 31, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hero! :D

22. Phil

October 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm

That worked! Thank you.

23. R Leonard

June 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Commenter Brian – you are a genius! I have been combing through posts on this issue and your “This can also happen if the users mailbox is setup as a shared mailbox in EMC (exchange management console) on the exchange server rather then a user mailbox as it should be.” did the trick. That was our issue when selecting the name from the GAL didn’t work!

24. Varun

June 12, 2014 at 7:24 am

An explanation to most of the questions posted above(I think…) :-P