Top 10 Reasons Why I Avoided Twitter for so Long

1. I don’t care about what you’re doing.
  2. You don’t care about what I’m doing.
  3. I don’t want to use anything that has the word “twit” in it.
  4. I was scared to use anything that Britney Spears is known to use.
  5. I don’t like being stalked and murdered (See 10 reasons why I don’t like FaceBook)
  6. I don’t want to accidentally geo tag my posts and have everyone know that I shop at ALDI.
  7. The concept of random people following me, listening to what I’m saying and not speaking to me directly is something that I’ve been trained by my culture to consider as a precursor to a violent attack and thus avoid.
  8. My attention span is already microscopic enough and I don’t want to throw mental alum on it by consistently thinking in 140 characters. kthxbai.
  9. I don’t need to start using yet another web based service that has availability issues. Google and EC2 are about all I can handle, thankyouverymuch.
  10. Tweets are like IMs that are public and never go away. Ever. Think about that for a few minutes. Yeah, it scared me really bad too.

Do you tweet? Post your Twitter name below. Do you not have a Twitter account? What are your reasons for avoiding it?

1. n2j3

July 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

happy sysadmin day. I tweet alright, @n2j3 😀 I just try to be careful (i.e. geolocation off, not giving away meatspace-related info etc)

• Wesley.Nonapeptide

July 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

Yes, Happy SysAdmin Day! I think I might just join LOPSA since they’re having a $30 special.

BTW, I lol’d at “meatspace”. =)

2. David Mackintosh

July 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

>The concept of random people following me, listening to what I’m saying and not speaking to me directly is something that I’ve been trained by my culture to consider as a precursor to a violent attack and thus avoid.

Of course, posting things in a blog for random people to read and not comment on is somehow different.

3. jreypo

August 4, 2010 at 5:06 am

Very funny post.

Yes, as you already know I tweet!! @jreypo Sometimes a lot of tweets, sometimes the classic foursquare “I’m at blablabla…” and my blog updates.

But I love Twitter!!! 😀

• Wesley.Nonapeptide

August 4, 2010 at 8:08 am

Foursquare scares me. Do I need people stalking me that bad? I think not. 😉

4. Matt Simmons

August 9, 2010 at 7:58 am

I LOL’d at the “…been trained by my culture to consider as a precursor to a violent attack and thus avoid.” too 🙂

I’m @standaloneSA on twitter. I’ve got to say, this is a discussion that I’ve had with my wife more than once.

It boils down to whether you see it as a threat that people know when you’re not home. Check this entry by Social Media Commando:

I feel the same way, mostly, but I think we’re afraid of this just because it’s a new way of knowing where we are.

How many houses do you suppose get broken into because the people living there go to work every day, and the thief has watched them?

Agreed, the reason we have vacation timers is to make sure it looks like we’re home to fool thieves. Is scheduling blog entries and twitter conversations (without the geolocating features) identical?

• Wesley.Nonapeptide

August 9, 2010 at 8:14 am

Even beyond advertising your absence to the benefit of thieves, I don’t want to advertise where I am for anyone to be able to “just happen” to bump into me. Surely there’s a few people you can think of that you’d rather not let know where you are. Or maybe I have an unusually dysfunctional family?

Thanks for the perspective. Had I remembered “PleaseRobMe.com” it certainly would have made an entry or two on the list. =)