Solved: RDP Disconnected – Error Code 2825

Recently while trying to connect to a remote PC using the Remote Desktop manager called “mRemote”, I received a rather unhelpful error message:

RDP Disconnected! Error Code: 2825 Error Description:

However, if using Windows built in Remote Desktop Connection software (mstsc.exe) I was able to connect.

The answer was so simple, I almost did a facepalm. The remote machine had remote desktop enabled, but required Network Level Authentication (NLA). As soon as I enabled the option “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)” I was able to connect via mRemote.

My only guess as to why mRemote couldn’t connect is that I’m using the portable version of mRemote which requires you to manually register the various components used to connect to remote clients. The version of “AxInterop.MSTSCLib.dll” that came with mRemote and is registered for remote desktop usage must not support NLA. I couldn’t find an updated version of that file.

Maybe someday I’ll spring for VisionApp Remote Desktop, which is the product that the mRemote creator merged all further updates of mRemote into. You can also read my review of mRemote over here. </shameless plug>.

1. weaponfanatic

December 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

You need to update to 1.63:

Added support for Credential Security Support Provider (CredSSP) which is required for Network Level Authentication (NLA)

• Orks

February 27, 2012 at 6:17 am

Weird, I see mRemote until version 1.50 only. What am I missing?

February 27, 2012 at 9:57 am

I think he’s referring to mRemoteNG:

I should probably write a new post and update the links on this one.

• Orks

February 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh cool. I’ve got it. Thanks for sharing.

2. RobertI

January 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

:) Thank you !! You saved me mucking around :)

3. Stuart

May 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Hi, I was having the same issue on a couple of our Citrix farm servers. I ended up finding this issue to solve 2 or three of the servers. However, there’s one server where that third option “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)” is replaced by an (i) saying “This computer supports multiple RDP listeners. Use Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool or Group Policy to set up user authentication.”

Any idea what I need to do to enable the same effect of the hidden option?

May 3, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Wow, I’ve never seen that before. I suppose you could set the options in group policy, but strange that one server is different than the other two like that.

• Stuart

May 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Never mind, I went through the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool, and found a similar option on the “localRDP” protocol to only use NLA. Disabled this and is all working. Thanks for the inspiration though!

4. KdB

June 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

Thanks! Just hit this same wall this morning…happy to find your resolution on the first article I clicked on!!!!

5. Lawrence

July 2, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for the post, saved lots of time for me

6. Tom

August 31, 2012 at 6:50 am

Thank you. That nailed the issue I have been having for last few hours. You rock.

7. Cygni

October 24, 2012 at 2:22 am

I’ll suppose that the “AxInterop.MSTSCLib.dll” can be rebuilt whit the NLA support. Check

8. Milan

December 10, 2012 at 2:59 am

tnx, it worked…
    btw, I also did the facepalm. 😉

9. Buckeye

April 13, 2015 at 6:58 am

Thank you! I wasn’t sure what “CredSSP” was and turned it off. Thus was getting error 2825. This post allowed me to solve this issue in two minutes.